View Single Post
Old March 8, 2009, 06:55 PM
Rookie

Default 3 Builds - WHS Media Server and 2 Mini ITX HTPC's - Thoughts needed

Good day all - getting ready to piece together several builds. Plan is to purchase Mid April and have all 3 completed by end of April.

Build #1 - (WHS - Media Sever Build)

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
WHS - Media Server to distribute movies in MKV format to 2 mini ITX HTPCs in the house and have redundancy for pictures, music, and important files from each PC in the house (4).
2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
$700-900 CAD with a couple of 1TB HDD
3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
Canada
4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.
WD, Intel CPU
5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
none - so all new
6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
Yes, here, avsforum.com
7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
nope - no OC.

Here is what I am thinking so far:
HDD - WD10EADS 1TB HDD x 2 (for now, but I plan to purchase more every 2 months to keep up with my movies)
MoBo - Would like a gigabyte ultra durable with 8 SATA's and must have IGP something like GA-EP45-UD3P (the biggest would be a mATX Mobo, any potential mini ITX options? or other suggestions?)
CPU - E5300 or similar
CPU cooler - ???
Memory - 4GB - 8GB ??
Case - Cooler Master Centurion 590 RC-590-KKN1-GP or Antec Twelve Hundred (I really would like a case that is very quiet, has excellent air filters to minimize dust over time, and PSU placement at the bottom of the case)
PSU - ??? Something highly efficient (24 x 7 setup) and that can handle at least 8-10 HDD in time - Seasonic or ??

Build #2 - (Mini ITX HTPC's, I need two of them)

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
Mini ITX HTPCs - 2 of them, one to a projector via A/V receiver, the other to a plasma, both using HDMI. Also, web surfing, email, wordprocessing.
2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
$400-700 CAD
3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
Canada
4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.
WD, Intel CPU
5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
none - so all new
6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
Yes, here, avsforum.com
7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
nope - no OC.

Here is what I am thinking so far:
HDD - WD2500AAKS or WD3200AAKS
MB - Mini ITX board with Nvidia 9300/9400 GPU (Zotac GeForce 9300-ITX)
CPU - E7200 or similar
CPU cooler - ???
Memory - 4GB - ??
Case - Must SFF, as small as possible, I just was this - thermaltake - Luxa2 - LM100 mini - LUXA2 - Uniquely You
PSU - ??? I hope something external, or something that comes with the case
Adesso 2.4 GHz RF Wireless Mini Keyboard with Optical Trackball

last item - a solid router with 8Gb ports

Thats its for now. I will update as things progress, thanks to those who contribute in my thread. Much appreciated.

Last edited by Shftup; March 8, 2009 at 07:34 PM.