View Single Post
Old March 1, 2009, 05:41 PM
Rookie

Default buy i7 or build?

Hello everyone,

I recently came across this site, it seems like an excellent resource/community. In any case, my current computer is a dual 1.8 gHz g5 (PPC) mac from June 2004 /w 3 gig ram. I think mac makes terrific products but its hardware (esp the pro desktop line) is pricey. While it is fine for normal use, in some cases it is starting to show its age. My feeling is that it is more cost effective to get a good build less often than a moderate build more frequently.

I've looked at the new dell XPS 435:

Dell Studio XPS 435 Desktop Computer Product Details

As far as I can tell, if I just buy the components listed there on my own, I can't match their price. I think I want an i7 CPU because I think the extra caching / DDR3 RAM will help me and I think the usability lifetime will be longer if I go with that.

Are there any glaring concerns with the dell? I dunno what sort of PSU / motherboard it has exactly. Do you think I good get the same/better quality parts for same/less if I build it myself? Because my research on prices seem to show that I cannot. I am also wondering about the 32nm chips coming out later this year -- whether I should try and hold off for that.

Thanks for your input.

Standard info:

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

Programming (C++/Java) -- fair bit of computationally intensive math routines, etc, statistical analysis (matlab, R, etc.), a game now and then (maybe starcraft 2 when it comes out... I am not an avid 3D gamer though).

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

No more than $1300 CAD (without monitor) if possible.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

Canada

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

Intel CPU -- want to look into some of the intel specific libraries and whatnot.

Video card -- want dual DVI ports for dual monitor setup.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

None.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

Yes.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

Default.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?

Hopefully within ~ 1 month or so. But if there is a large need to wait for price drop / new products that can be done too.