Thread: 'New' GTS250?
View Single Post
Old February 23, 2009, 09:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I didn't realise that Nvidia invented the GPU. Maybe it's the semantics I'm missing... were the old Voodo era cards based on standard silicon that was programmed to do graphics?

Yeah they basically were just a separate processor designed to do graphics, or 2d processors (which were not considered GPU's but VPU's). Today's modern form of graphics cards with multi shader cores etc was invented by Nvidia.

Graphics processing unit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

btw: the actual definition of GPU is: G"a single-chip processor with integrated transform, lighting, triangle setup/clipping, and rendering engines that is capable of processing a minimum of 10 million polygons per second"
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.