View Single Post
Old February 22, 2009, 05:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFlame View Post
Some quick responses :)

Aren't all AM3 boards DDR3 capable? In which I'd have to go an AM2+ board? Isn't there some sort of disadvantage in using an AM2+ board for an AM3 cpu? I thought I read something about power being an issue when overclocking especially.

Motherboards the asus one i picked was one of the four i saw on newegg, there aren't many AM3 socket mobo's out there. I picked the Asus one cause it said it had 2 PCIe x16 slots so it can xfire, whereas the gigabyte one only has one and was the same price...

I'm pretty set on an ATI 4850 or 4870 GPU, just cause I'm going AMD cpu. In terms of cross-firing I don't plan on it now, but I guess in the future I'd like the option to do so just to add a little more life to my comp.

Cadaveca's WD640 black w/ the dual processing sounds pretty tempting. How would that compare with the 500 gig single platter? I'm sorry I don't really know that much about these things, higher density platter generally means faster access as less spinning but this dual processing thing sounds awesome...
Check my post as I updated it.

Also, crossfiring doesn't really extend your computer's life. Some games will never support crossfire, while others will. In my opinion, it's better to sell your old GPU and purchasing a brand new, faster one instead.

DDR3 is not worth it, and the performance difference between DDR3 and DDR2 is minimal. DDR2 is the way to go.