View Single Post
Old February 22, 2009, 04:32 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFlame View Post

So my current plan is...

AMD Phenom II X3 720 - 173.69 at newegg
NCIX.com - Buy AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition Triple Core Processor AM3 2.8GHZ 7.5MB Cache 95W 45NM Retail Box - HDZ720WFGIBOX In Canada.

ASUS M4A78T-E ATX 790GX - 173.99 at newegg
NCIX.com - Buy ASUS M4A78T-E ATX 790GX Socket AM3 DDR3 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI HDMI Video Sound GBLAN Motherboard - M4A78T-E In Canada.

Video card and PSU
I want to be able to crossfire it in the future. I'm still debating between 4850 and 4870 1gig or 512meg based on price and what I can fit in my budget. The problem is that I don't know how to calculate power consumption, don't know how much power I'll need. I was thinking the Corsair TX750, would that be enough to OC the CPU and xfire 4870's?

Case
The Antec 300 seems like a good buy in terms of price and capabilities... I don't really know what will fit in what so recommendations are welcome as well though I guess I just want something that'll have good spacing and air flow.

HD
This one has been pretty generic i see the western digital 640 gig recommended alot, but i don't really know why. So I'd like some info on this too.

RAM
I don't know much about RAM timings and the like so I'll need some help here. Noting that i plan to run XP so i think 4 gig is the max for it.

Heatsink/Fan
CPU cooler recommendations?

So, I'm contemplating the same cpu and mobo...not bad choices. Just verify that teh board is 16x16 pci-e, and not 8x8...

the HDD...the WD 640 BLACK is a "dualProc" HDD...almost a RAID in a single drive...quite fast...fastest drive besides raptors, I think...and hence the recommendations. WD has a pretty good warranty too...

Ram...any 1333mhz should do you fine. Look at older dual-channel kits though...

I recommend the 4780 1GB, just purely based on the fact that the 1GB 4850's have whiney fans that annoy me. But like you said...get what fits your budget.

Case...get whatever suits your taste...in the end it's purely a cosmetic thing...soem have better airflow, features, etc...but those are minor details unless you plan to overclock...same thing goes for the cooler.