View Single Post
Old January 24, 2009, 04:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Have spare machine, will build HTPC...

OK, so I have an entirely new machine, and I'm planning on turning my old PC into an HTPC. I have a few stumbling blocks though... one being I have never really looked at htpc builds until now. I've really hazy on a few points and I'm hoping I can get a few questions answered, or at least point me in the right direction. I'll start by listing the parts of my old PC and saying I'd like to use as much of it as possible. I'll leave out the case though, since I am going to buy a proper HTPC case to fit in my component rack.

Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 Motherboard
AMD AM2 6000+ Dual Core CPU
ASUS EAH4850 512MB Video (With direct HDMI output)
4Gb 667MHz Kingston RAM (4x 1Gig sticks)
OCZ StealthXStream 500W PSU
2x 3.5" Seagate 500Gb SATAII HDD's

Basically I'd like the system to be an HTPC that also serves music and video for the various laptops in the house. I'm also planning on networking my 360 in to the works. Now here's where I get a little hazy and have a few questions...

I want to buy an HTPC case for the system. Can you buy them with IR recievers and a remote? Would the be compatible with a Media Center remote? Or should I forgo the remote alltogether and buy a wireless air-mouse instead?
Also, do I need to worry about cooling for an HTPC? Obviously there'd be no OC'ing or anything, but I always see people buy lower end video cards for these things. Does that have to do with heating issues? Or simply because there's no need for a high end card? If so then it's no big deal since I have the card as a spare anyway.

And concerning Windows Media Center; should I "obtain" it? Or should I buy a copy of vista for the media center included in it? Can I get a copy with the media center remote? Or, again, should I just forget the remote and go with an air-mouse?

Lastly, can I drop in a regular ATX MB in to an ATX HTPC case? Is it basically the same layout , just tipped on it's side?

I'll probably have a few more questions over the next few days, but any help from this point would be a start, and very much appreciated. Thanks =)