View Single Post
Old January 23, 2009, 06:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sounds like some software/drivers malfunction. You're right in that you shouldn't have problems with MP3 and WMA, as I can play (up to 640x480) compressed videos off a Pentium 4 2.4 GHz.

I'm not sure if you've tried this yet, but have you checked out the Task Manager? (right-click on taskbar or press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to get it open)
Under Task manager, go to the Processes tab.
Open up a few simple applications (web browser, e-mail, etc), and monitor your CPU usage and Memory usage. CPU usage should always be under 10% if you're inactive, and for your CPU I doubt playing music would even bring it to 15%. As for memory, the "commit charge" should be below ~512 MB unless your taskbar is full of something dumb like 30 instances of Internet Explorer or Firefox with 40 tabs.

If you note that a number is too high over there, find out which particular process it is, and fix / delete the program related to it. Usually for me the culprit is antivirus or some stupid plugin (Adobe).