View Single Post
Old January 23, 2009, 07:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Sounds like some software/drivers malfunction. You're right in that you shouldn't have problems with MP3 and WMA, as I can play (up to 640x480) compressed videos off a Pentium 4 2.4 GHz.

I'm not sure if you've tried this yet, but have you checked out the Task Manager? (right-click on taskbar or press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to get it open)
Under Task manager, go to the Processes tab.
Open up a few simple applications (web browser, e-mail, etc), and monitor your CPU usage and Memory usage. CPU usage should always be under 10% if you're inactive, and for your CPU I doubt playing music would even bring it to 15%. As for memory, the "commit charge" should be below ~512 MB unless your taskbar is full of something dumb like 30 instances of Internet Explorer or Firefox with 40 tabs.

If you note that a number is too high over there, find out which particular process it is, and fix / delete the program related to it. Usually for me the culprit is antivirus or some stupid plugin (Adobe).
"The computer programmer says they should drive the car around the block and see if the tire fixes itself." [src]