View Single Post
Old January 21, 2009, 09:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Your build looks fine if you plan to go the AMD Phenom II route. However, I'd get Newegg.ca - AMD Phenom II X4 920 2.8GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops combo instead. Last time, people said that the combo deal was a AMD Phenom II with a Gigabyte mobo with a 790GX. As of posting, it is a Biostar motherboard with a 790GX. Should be good, but I'll let others chime in on this.

For GPU, I'd get the ATI 4850 or 4870 or GTX260 Core 216. If you get a 24" monitor, then the GTX260 Core 216 or 4870 would be mroe than enough. I see no point in spending extra for the GTX280.

For PSU, if you want modular, then get the Corsair HX620.

If you go Intel and want quad core, get the Intel Q6600 and ASUS P5Q Pro or Gigabyte EP45-DS3R or UD3P. They are all great motherboards.

For $20 or $30 more, you can get a 640GB hard drive. It offers the best bang for buck in my opinion in terms of storage and performance.

Also look into buying from NCIX, as they are essentially the same company as Direct Canada. Finally, don't forget to price match. Do note that prices may fluctuate within a month or two's time, so make sure that you are getting what you want at whatever price you are paying in the future.