View Single Post
Old January 21, 2009, 01:28 PM
Rookie

Default Gaming with Light editing work. Phenom II build?

In light of the recent price drops on the Phenom II 940 to below $270 seems to make the value of building a system around it worth it. Here's my details.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
Gaming, some Photoshop and Flash (more casual these days)

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
$950-$1200ish

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
Canada

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.
None

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
Don't see any value in breaking up what I have. Just pass this comp onto someone in the family as is

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
Yes the other AMD threads but it was suggested I start my own thread. I am not sure about video card and power needs. Whats overkill etc

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
Sounds like with the Phenom II 940 on air it might be worth a shot

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Next month or 2

- I'll be gaming on a 20inch 1680x1050, but what if I upgrade to a 24inch one day with higher resolution?
- Sounds like the new AMD Dragon set up is more efficient with an ATI card so not sure of the hit if I go Nvidia. Would Crossfire be more beneficial if upgrading monitor size in the future?.
- Storage is not a biggy for me as I have an 80G now that is half full and a 500G external
- Seems like I read a lot of issues with current ATI drivers is there anything to be concerned about?

So far planned:
Phenom II 940
Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H
4850/4870 512 or 1GB/GTX260 or 280
4GB Kingston Hyper X T1
WD Caviar SE16 320GB - read that the 320 seems to be the most efficient.
Corsair TX750 - do I need this much?
Antec 300 case - size and cooling sufficient?
and some dvd drive

Last edited by manbearpig; January 23, 2009 at 02:07 PM.