View Single Post
Old January 13, 2009, 07:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default The Friend Build Version 1.0

First and Foremost, the group of people we have here have all been very Helpful over the past few months. I have learned quite a bit, and tried to help out where I could!

Now, I am Building A system for a friend so,

Tasks it will Perform: Internet Surfing, Moderate Gaming (WoW, C&C3 , WarcraftIII)

Budget: $850 approx.

Brand Preferance : nVidia FanBoy (this is where I need some help, I'm ATI lol), Intel Fanboy

Current Parts Being Kept (as far as he's told me) - Samsung Optical Drive DVD-ROM (not sure of its make), WD 640GB HD, All the external Accessories i.e. Keyboard, Mouse, Dell FP2027.

Overclocking: Nope, he likes to keep things stock.

Build Time: Approx. 1 Month to work out the details.

So Far, here is what I got

NCIX.com - Buy ASUS P5Q Pro ATX LGA775 P45 DDR2 2PCI-E16 CrossFire 3PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 Sound GBLAN eSATA Motherboard - P5Q Pro In Canada.

P5Q has received good reviews on both the boards here, and on other review sites, so it seems like the logical Place to start.

Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 Processor BX80571E7300 - 2.66GHz, 3MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB, Wolfdale-3M, Dual-Core, Retail, Socket 775, Processor with Fan in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

This to me, is a good balance of Performance, price ($139 for a CPU seems good to me, and allows him to cash in his $100 Gift Certificate from TD at the same time) so, total additional Price = $39 lol!

NCIX.com - Buy Coolermaster CM 690 Mid Tower Black ATX Case 5X5.25 5X3.5INT No PS Front USB Sound Firewire & eSATA - RC-690-KKN1 In Canada.

I have heard, and read good things about this Case, but am Open to other options.
It has to be a Mid-Tower though, he is not too fond of Full towers, but I might be able to sway that opinion.

NCIX.com - Buy Mushkin Ascent PC2-6400 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-12 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit - 996622 In Canada.

After many many days reading, and listening to everyone else (and to boot me being Bias for Corsair Memory) I figured I'd use Mushkin , HWC > ST. LOL!
It doesn't have to be the fastest Memory out there, I know this is 800mHz stuff.

NCIX.com - Buy Corsair TX750W 750W ATX 12V 60A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan - CMPSU-750TX In Canada.

Okay, I have listened as well to this, so I am going to suggest a Corsair PSU, I believe that 750W is more than enough for this build.

So,
Total so far =
645 - 100 TD Gift Certificate = 545 before tax/shipping.

THat leaves me with 305 Approx for a Few Extra Case Fans, and a nVidia Card, and a Cooling Solution for the CPU (both of us have looked at the Domino ALC as something cool, and new to try, which would shave the amount spent on the VC/Fans - 205)
I have never used nVidia....I could use a few suggestions for finding something half decent (doesn't have to be cutting edge).

Let me know what you all think,
Personally it seems like a decent, mid-range build, with expandability potential.
But I am always open to critique, and of course I may have missed a component too in this whole post ( I do get scatter brained from time to time).

Best Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com