Old January 12, 2009, 02:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Akasa VORTEXX Neo Review

Akasa VORTEXX Neo
Review by jdrom17

Link: Akasa
Price: $30.95USD @ Sidewinder

I decided to get this cooler for my HD4850 as the Arctic Cooling TwinTurbo no longer fits with my Crossfire configuration. For whatever reason, it's extremely difficult to find any aftermarket dual-slot solution that exhausts from the case. As far as I know, this is the only one that works with the newer cards.

It came packaged in a rather large box which had the cooler itself, 8 pieces of thermal tape for the RAM, 6 plastic washers, 4 thumb-type screws, some thermal paste and a 3pin to molex fan adapter.

Of course the fan and barbs do not come with it, I just took a picture of everything I got in the mail today

It's a lightweight cooler with a mix of copper and aluminum. It has blue LEDs as well if your into that. The base though is rather rough so lapping it could possibly help with temperatures however since it's a stepped base I think that would be kind of hard to do without ruining proper contact.

The installation was rather simple though the semi-thumbscrews used to hold the heatsink on cannot be put tight it seems otherwise the card bends a lot. Had to basically leave them hand-tight (even though it has a cut out for a flat-head screwdriver).

One issue I have though is the MOSFETs are totally naked and the fan doesn't cover them, so this could be problematic. I haven't yet checked the temperatures on them with an IR gun though, but I might need to get some ramsinks.

Here's a before and after shot:

Unfortunately the fan uses a 3pin connector rather than plugging into the GPU itself so the GPU no longer controls the fan speed. This was something I liked with the TwinTurbo. Luckily it doesn't seem to be audible over my S-FLEX "F" fans so it's fine with me.

As it stands, I'm idling at 40C which is totally amazing IMO. That's lower than my HIS ICEQ4 card as well which idles at 55C.

1 loop of 3DMark06 with the card running at 690/1100 yielded the following temperatures:
56C on the Core/DISPIO
64C on the MEMIO
55C on the SHADERCORE

Overall a great cooler which exhausts the air out of the case. Something I wish more manufacturers would do.

1 word of advise, if your case doesn't already have vented slot covers, make sure you get at least 1 to use so that the cooler can exhaust out of the case. For whatever reason Akasa didn't include one which is disappointing.

Last edited by JD; January 14, 2009 at 07:38 AM.