View Single Post
Old December 19, 2008, 06:04 AM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Are you SURE? Because I can't help but think that this has worked out almost perfectly for Intel, giving more determined overclockers a little extra incentive to purchase the higher binned chips.
From what I understood lower QPI multipliers will be enabled across all models. The BCLK is going to remain the limiting factor for locked Core 7's, so I don't think Intel will feel the need to further limit OC'ing on lower-end models.

Quote:
Overall, very nice review, although I think the gaming benches might have benefited from using a stronger card, instead of the 9800, in that there might have been a little more contrast between the scores.
I agree, we will have to make a little upgrade in graphics department.

Quote:
The topmost PCI-E slot? Will it work for any other expansion card? I ask this because the one on my Maximus only seems to work for the bundled sound card, and nothing else seemed to even register to the system when it tried it.
I don't know, since I don't have any PCI-E cards that are short enough to fit in that slot.

Quote:
You stated that the three PCI-E slots can be run in either 16x/8x/8x or 16x/16x/1x? Is there a BIOS option/jumper somewhere to force one or the other? Or is it determined only by what's plugged in? I looked, but couldn't seem to see any option in the BIOS screens you provided.
Oops, small omission there, yes there is an option to choose x8 x8 or x16 x1 in the BIOS.

Quote:
Also, in 16x/16x/1x, do you know if all the slots are still PCI-E 2.0? Or is the single slot then getting bandwidth from the southbridge?
They are still 2.0, the X58 actually has 36 PCI-E lanes