View Single Post
Old December 15, 2008, 11:23 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post

I am building a new beast for my brother. He is crazy he wants the best stuff in there and i am not sure where to start. I am not even sure he’ll go with all the stuff that I picked but as for top of the line PC, planning on going with Intel Core i7 Extreme 965 Quad Core Processor or should I go with Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 Quad Core Processor LGA775. What do you guys think? which one is more stable??

MOBO: If I am going with QX9770, the mobo will be Asus Rampage Extreme
Motherboard
For the i7 Extreme 965 since tiger direct only has Asus P6T-Deluxe Motherboard or EVGA X58 SLI Motherboard Which one guys……helpppp

Memory: DDR3 not sure which one to go for….help please…….

PSU: going with Ultra X3 ULT40070 1600-Watt Power Supply

Video Card: I am going with 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 280 Video Card SSC Edition
I'll put my 2c on what I quoted above:
1. If you are going with two Geforce video cards, that pretty much rules out the Rampage Extreme motherboard. You will want to run the video cards in SLi mode, which is not supported on the X48 chipset that the Rampage uses. better to go with the P6T or the Evga. I personally would rather go for the Asus, as I have never used EVGA boards before, but somebody else might have something further to say.

2. PSU: I would go with the Corsair HX 1000. Corsair really stands by their products, and this PS has a great reputation. Ultra has out out some good products, but you are taking a chance with them.

3. Video cards: If you have lots of cash then this is a great card. The GTX 260s are also a good choice if you want to go cheaper. Remember, if you want to use them both in SLI you need an nVidia 780/790i chipset board for the Core2 cpus, or the newer x58 chipset for the i7 cpus. Check the motherboard specs first to ensure that it supports SLI.
Fold for team #54196