View Single Post
Old December 9, 2008, 03:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yea Galinstan is pretty common.It's used as a mercury replacement for themometers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Actually, you will find out if you want that alloying tin into the Gallium/Indium prevents this liquid metal Matrix from interferring with or getting involved with the matrix of most if not all metals (I'll see if I can find my list at work). Another work around would be a simple coating of ceramic inside the metal housings to prevent the actual interface of the two materials. But again, not really needed.

ST
I'm not sure about this.

AFAIK , the Tin is added to a Gallium/Indium alloy to prevent it from 'wetting' glass , it is one of the specific properties of Galinstan , that makes it suitable for thermometers..

Galinstan will dissolve copper/brass/aluminum/lead very easily , and once it does , the galinstan is ruined.....

While the concept of 'ceramic coating' certainly would address this , in practice , it's more difficult.The best results to date have been achieved with a gallium oxide coating , but even this is not 100% , and well , Ya kinda need 100% for this.

One of the ways to accomplish a safe setup would be to make blocks and rads from a 'refractory metal' such as tungsten or molybdinum......Galinstan can't touch these.......diamond would also be a good choice albeit expensive.

It can certainly be safely accomplished , I could draw you up one right now , but it's the cost......many thousands of dollars......