Project: PrometheusCU - Update #1 - Dec 3rd 08
View Single Post
December 3, 2008, 09:23 PM
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Let us begin.
I've finished the rad mount prototype.
I started with a 40"x40"x1/8" sheet of used aluminum.
This panel was once used in the fabrication of Carbon Fiber sheets - the aluminum panel are used to help form the carbon panel. The carbon is cooked in a heated press at ~40,000tonnes. After a short while, about 100 carbon panels, the aluminum develops imperfections and heat stains - It's then thrown away. My Dad runs the Carbon Fiber plant so over the years I have developed a rather large collection of these aluminum sheets.
After a bit of rough cutting with the trusty jigsaw I did some light filing to clean the cuts.
Then onto bending
The final product, minus the holes.
Once that was complete I checked the fit - luckily the "measure 5-times cut once" methodology continues to work for me.
A side view, note also that the final bends will be much more precise. I plan on having 'V' shaped groves milled into the copper plate where bends are needed to ensure accuracy.
Then I had to drill precise holes in the the chassis.
From there I did a test fit. (Note that the final design will include slots for airflow, I'll post an illustration later today.)
Almost perfect, I eyeballed the holes in the rad mount prototype and a couple were off slightly. No big loss though because the final product will be machined precisely.
Thanks for reading! More to come.
- powered by:
July 2008 MOTM Nominee
TBCS: Front Page Article
TBCS: Featured Worklog
My System Specs
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Langer
Visit Langer's homepage!
Find all posts by Langer