View Single Post
Old November 29, 2008, 08:24 PM
Allstar

I've been making heavy use of the Phenom 9950 BE lately due to its low price point compared to Intel's offerings (The last 2 9950s I used were $187 and $196 respectively when the Q6600 was going for $220 and $224). Both of them clocked up to at least 3 GHz without any increase in voltage (3.0 and 3.1 GHz respectively) and, because they're unlocked, I can use dirt cheap memory and not worry about compromising the overclock.

I've been pretty impressed with the motherboards as well (Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 and Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H) and, combined with 8/16 GB of memory and an HD 4830/4850, they are insanely quick in Vista, both systems were made for under $1200 before taxes.

The only thing I've found that's an issue is that AMD's Overdrive is not nearly as reliable as I hoped it would be. Actually, I had to reformat one of the computers because I couldn't remove the AMD Overdrive Assistant service, which kept overclocking on startup (I left it at 3.0 GHz, but the owner wanted to try 3.2 GHz), causing a BSOD and even manually setting the Multiplier in BIOS didn't prevent Overdrive from changing it.