View Single Post
Old November 13, 2008, 09:52 AM
Top Prospect

Cool preview, thanks! This card has interested me greatly since I first learned of it a few months ago. Leave it to ASUS to come up with an audio card specific to headphone users... it's great. I love their dedication so far to audio and I hope it keeps up... they really aren't half-assing things.

Are you able to tell us yet of any impressions on audio quality differences between this card and the D2X? Do you find the built-in headphone amplifier to actually be a useful feature and not just some addition tacked on there for looks? I don't own an amp, which is why I ask, so it intrigues me.

Also, you didn't mention the chipset used... is it still relying on the CMI8788? I'd love to know, since I use Linux and sometimes can get left out in the dark when it comes to brand-new audio cards. That also leads me to wonder if I could even take advantage of the amp control under Linux. I'm lead to believe no, but even with "stock" settings, I'd imagine this would be a real treat to use.

Thanks again for the cool writeup.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.20GHz, ASUS P5K Premium WiFi-AP, OCZ 8GB PC2-6400, EVGA GTX 285 1024MB
Seagate 500GB, 750GB & 1TB, Pioneer 22x ODD, Corsair 1000HX, Thermalright Ultra-120, CM Storm Sniper
Dell 2408WFP 24", ASUS Xonar Essence STX, Ultrasone PRO 750, Gentoo Linux (KDE 4.4, 2.6.32 Kernel)

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Profiles: Last.fm | Xbox Live | Steam