View Single Post
Old November 4, 2008, 09:13 PM
Allstar
F@H

If kept at reasonable temperatures, overclocking shouldn't be of any harm, especially if it's only a minor performance increase.

However, either overclocking or not, you definitely want to get an aftermarket heatsink and fan. The tiny little mofo that comes with Intel chips does fine, but if you get a nice quality heatsink and fan like an OCZ Vendetta II, then you increase the lifespan of your cpu by making it run cooler.

As well, barbarossa is right. The minor 150MHz increase from the E8400 to the E8500 is not worth the jump in price. The E8400 seems to be the sweet spot for price/performance right now, and I myself am running one. I can attest to it's awesomeness.

As far as the RAM goes, you pretty much picked two of the top tier brands. So go for them if you like.

As for the 9800 GT, i recommend not getting last-gen cards, i'd say get a nice EVGA GTX 260 instead. May cost a tad bit more, but it's worth it.

With the hard drives, I myself find Seagates to be kind of noisy. I'm not sure what Samsung drives are like (havent used one), but the Western Digital drives are nice and quiet.
RAM : 32GB DDR4 2400MHz (G.SKILL Ripjaws)
HDD : Main: 240GB SSD SATA2 (Intel) Storage: 3TB SATA2 (WD Green) Backup: 500GB External USB (Hitatchi)
GFX : Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB
PSU : 750W Corsair Modular PSU
MoBo: Asus X99-A
View : Acer H213H 21.5" @ 1920 x 1080 + random 4:3 monitor

Level/Game Designer, Programmer
http://mikeseguin.webs.com/

I run Durham 3D Printing, an online 3D Print shop!