View Single Post
Old October 17, 2008, 10:21 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Default Appetizer: FSB Clocking

We start off with testing FSB with the board straight out of the box. No modifications, no thermal paste re-application, no additional cooling. The following testing is exactly as the board would be when you first open the package. Here is a list of hardware/software used for this testing...
  • CPU: Intel C2D E8400 (L808A476)
  • CPU Cooling: Thermalright Ultra-120
  • RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC3-16000 EPP2.0
  • NB Cooling: Stock
  • SB Cooling: Stock
  • PWM Cooling: Stock
  • GPU: HIS HD3870X2
  • PSU: Thermaltake Pure Power 750W
  • HD: Seagate SATAII 80GB 8MB NCQ
Let's finally get this board rocking and see what it will do for us. I still don't have confirmation either way that the board is male or female...my e-mails continue to go un-answered at NVIDIA.

The setup as tested...
click for full size...

The results...
click for full size...

As it turns out, this particular sample of the EVGA nForce 790i SLI FTW Digital PWM isn't the incredible overclocker I was hoping for with the dual core, well, at least not in this physical form. The one thing that seemed to be holding back clocks was the vSPP and maximum BIOS selectable of 1.57v. That is good news because it provides optimism that this board may go higher with a volt mod and some additional cooling on the chipset. The one item of concern though is that I was able to eek out a 5MHz higher stable clock after turning the memory frequency down to 800MHz from 1000MHz+. This is just further evidence that the chipset is a bit weaker than the 790i Ultra as it never exhibited this sort of behavior.